Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dreaming pink!

Since the day this baby was conceived, I have been certain that it was a boy. Lately, I haven't been as certain. And then last night . . .

Last night, I dreamed that I was walking into a room that was full of random bits of furniture just setting about like it had been moved in but not organized. I was considerably more pregnant. There was an enormous cherry wood mirror with a curvy top lying on its side. There were bits of newspaper on the floor. There was a closet with a very curvy closet organizer (It looked like the skeleton of a waterslide.) with branches, and on each branch hung a different baby outfit. And there was lots of furniture in the background that I didn't take notice of because I was too busy staring at the walls. The walls were --- pink. A nice bubblegum/peppermint pink. And the baby clothes had pink highlights -- ribbons, footies, flowers, etc. And there was no reason for that mirror to ever sit in a boy's room. Completely female all the way.

I am certain that the room was a room in my house, though it didn't resemble the room we have set up for the baby. (It was bigger, for one thing. I don't think that mirror would fit comfortably in our spare room.) I am pretty certain it was a room for my baby (though an old friend of mine just learned she's having a girl, maybe twins). The whole dream was like walking into a birthday present.

So now what do I do? Sit still and wait, I suppose. It's not as if I can do anything about it. The ultrasound isn't for another week and a half. I begin to see why babies a hundred years ago were dressed in white for the first few months. Much simpler.

And the dream might just be addressing my anxiety about not being mentally ready for a girl. I will admit that my stomach was awfully awry last night. I also dreamed about marching bands in black and white workout uniforms assembling next door to my parents' old house led by an old classmate of mine who played an instrument that looked like a black rubber bugel. (She played the flute in high school.) But somehow that dream was just chaotic. The baby dream felt like there was more to it. It felt like it meant something to me. I can never figure out whether or not to trust pregnancy dreams or not.

3 comments:

JudiA said...

Oh, I remember those vivid pregnancy dreams!! They got more entertaining as time went on, if that's possible, LOL. On another note, be glad -- VERY glad -- that babies don't wear white any more. OH! the laundry!!

I will definitely just have to pray harder for your stomach to settle down, Jen. Take care of yourself.

Much love,

MomA

Alicia said...

I had the recurring dream I was having twin girls. Even after the ultrasound showed only one baby, but I never knew the sex. Kyra wouldn't open her legs to show us!

Though, I did pray for a girl. I was quite opposite from you, I didn't think I was ready for a boy. Heck, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be ready for a little boy!

Jennifer A. said...

Seth says that the curvy mirror and the absurdly shaped closet organizer mean that the dream world was distorted, so we're still having a boy. Not that he's ever been convinced that we were having a boy in the first place. He is thoroughly amused by my concern on the subject, as it's really the one thing we can't do anything about.