Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Baby's first 1/2 camping trip

Seth left for Guam on Saturday, but I haven't been alone with myself yet because my family is camping out in Belfair which is not far away. So Niki and I have been surrounded by people who are intent on entertaining us, or at least they are intent on entertaining her, and I have been entertained inadvertently. Here are my sisters trying to make Niki smile. My dad bribed Niki to sit on his lap with the cookie monster. She still hadn't learned that Grandpa is not a monster at this point. We thought she had a fear of facial hair (she also reacts that way to Seth's dad), but as you can see above and below, she seems to be getting over it.



In fact, she seemed to be fascinated with facial features in general,

both those of the family members

and her own.

She was also fascinated by new foods and even ate a tiny crumb of garlic bread (not that whole piece that Laura has; just a crumb), though she spat out the bit of carrot we tried to mash for her. She borrowed Grandpa's hat too (I forgot her hat, as well as a change of clothes, chairs, and many other useful things. I did not pack well.) and found that she liked hats. I tried one on her today, and she actually laughed.

We had a lot of fun, Niki got a lot of attention, and I got good comfort and distraction.

Belfair State Park is beautiful place. I wish I had thought to bring old shoes or my swimsuit. It was a perfect day for swimming, and the water was almost warm. We did dabble Niki's toes in the water, but my Dad has those pictures. I'll have to wait until they get home to get those pictures.

No comments: