Monday, November 8, 2010

Whoops.

I just realized that my last post was on November 2nd, and I didn't mention a word about the election. Not entirely surprising. The end of last Tuesday was like a breath of fresh air. I was so tired of the election season. It seemed like every other ad on the radio was a political ad, and five out of seven pieces of mail were political flyers. About half of the ads I encountered were positive and respectful, but the other half were more than enough to sour someone on the political process. I didn't even realize that I hadn't seen any results for our senatorial race until two days later. (My candidate lost, but my party made huge gains, so I guess it's going to be an interesting political season as well.)

So here is how our state fared in the election: we defeated the income tax and kept alcohol sales in the hands of the state. The right of the state to withold bail was extended from murder charges to other violent offenses, and the state has found a new way to calculate its bond debt. Certain taxes on groceries were rescinded, and other taxes and fees were increased. So everything sort of rounds itself out. Patti Murray beat Dino Rossi by barely 3% of the vote, and Kitsap County keeps all its same representatives on the federal and state levels. (Washington Secretary of State: Election Results. http://vote.wa.gov/Elections/WEI/?ElectionID=37) I had hoped for better things, especially on the pro-life front, but it seems to me that we're getting closer. We just need to keep praying and doing, and God will get our state on the bandwagon.

Love to you all.
Good night.

No comments: