Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pudding Painting.

Well, the weather has sacked in. We had forty mile per hour winds these past two nights and buckets of rain all day. We're supposed to have rain for the next ten days with a couple possibilities of snow. I could almost believe that I saw snowflakes coming down outside once or twice, but the Yahoo! weatherman maintained that it was 43 degrees and merely cloudy. Maybe I need to find a new weatherman.
So what's a mom to do with an antsy child on a day like today? Pudding paint.

It's inexpensive, edible fingerpaint. Just take a box of vanilla or banana cream pudding, mix according to directions, divide into five bowls, and add the food coloring of your choice. Art time becomes snack time or vice versa. The funny thing about Boogaloo is that she paints with her spoon and eats with her fingers. Of course, pudding doesn't dry very quickly, especially if it's heaped on the paper, so the odds of getting to keep the resultant masterpiece are pretty small, but you can always do what we did and take pictures.

This is Boogaloo's masterpiece. I think it could fit in very well among the modern masters. It looks like one of those paintings that people stare at in museums and say, "Come on, a kid could do something like that." Well, that's exactly right, and here's the proof. After I took this picture, she proceeded to smear it all together and turn the whole thing green. Maybe the key to art is knowing when to stop. :)

Experts say that the child feels validated if mom and dad play along, so I played along too. Okay, okay, I have more fun than she does, and I take my painting very seriously. This is my dabbling in modern art. I used to be one of those people who looked at paintings like this and said, "There's no point to it." But put it in pudding, and . . . there's still no point to it. But it's fun! Maybe it's hard to take those artists seriously because we think they take their work too seriously. If they would just admit that they're just having fun . . . oh well, that's a discussion for another day.

This is an exercise in line and color. This is throwing my food at a paper. I like this one better.

I think I'm going to make it my facebook profile picture.

No comments: