Monday, February 4, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggety jog.

It's good to be home, I suppose. I was getting a bit restless on the east side of the mountains. I ran out of things to do. When I'm home, I know I will never run out of things to do. There is always something that needs to be done.


I love being over there. Coastal people will think me crazy for preferring the dry side of the mountains, but I do. The sky is so much bigger and farther away in desert places. It's blue more often too. The colors are brighter, the air is clearer, and one can see for miles in any direction. I didn't realize how much I missed that. Here in Kitsap County, hills rise up in every direction. They're beautiful green hills with mountains peeking up between them and ocean at their bases, but they're everywhere. Neither the ocean nor the sky seem infinite. There is beauty, but there's no space. I missed space and sagebrush and big, blue sky. But still, it's good to be home.

Plus, I have four weeks and five days before baby arrives, and I haven't even signed up for a childbirth class yet. I think I've been falling behind. Baby has had me under the weather so long that now that I feel better, I'm only just beginning to realize how much work preparing for baby is. I have shopping lists that keep growing -- diapers, rubber pants, booties, baby towels. I have a nursery in chaos. I have heartburn to manage. I have a dog to train. What is Max going to think when baby comes?


But one thing I do not need to worry about right now is onsies, those essential baby garments that every baby needs from birth to six months at least. Check these out:


And last but not least:

These were made by the ladies at my first baby shower. Instead of playing games like "Guess how many squares of toilet paper it would take to encircle the mom-to-be," my cousin Amy thought it might be fun if the ladies all designed personalized onsies for me. Plain white onsies with four colors of fabric paint, and I have onsies enough for a week, or at least for three days, depending how much baby excretes. They really are cute, but my favorite is the one directly above. It was made by my best friend Desiree, and baby will wear it on Sunday afternoons while she watches football with Daddy.

But baby reminds me to conclude. I'm trying to reintroduce exercize into my schedule, and the clouds outside are parting. A perfect time to walk the dog.

Vaya con Dios.

Jennifer

No comments: