Sunday, January 13, 2008

well, he's gone.

Is there a way to turn this blog blue, just for this entry? Not that I'm depressed or anything. I'm actually feeling much better than I anticipated feeling after Seth left, but he's still gone. He left on Thursday, called me frorm Hawaii, let me wait for two days, and then called me from Guam. It turns out that his cell phone doesn't get reception on Guam, even though our plan covers Guam. Go figure. Anyway, that means that even when they're not at sea, it's unlikely that I'll hear from him. Perfect.

The worst part is that I'm not able to force myself into busyness like I usually do. My usual deployment habits include taking on new projects or community activities, reading for hours, working myself into a frazzle until 11:30 and dropping exhausted into bed, and hopping in the car or on a ferry to catch a friend or visit relatives. Now I'm just too tired to do all that. I'm almost too tired to maintain what I've already got going (almost, not quite). But I'm not too tired to feel how empty this house can be without my husband in it. At least not all the time.

On the other hand, the best part is how many people pop out of the woodwork to care for a pregnant woman. Friends, neighbors, and acquaintances have all made it clear that all I have to do is ask for help in order to get it. People I haven't heard from in almost a year are dropping by for visits and making sure I have everything I need. At this point, if I go into labor unexpectedly, the question will not be "do I have a person I can rely on?" but "which reliable person should I call?" I'm just not going to be able to call Seth and tell him because his phone doesn't get reception. Being able to talk to each other on deployments was the whole reason we got two cell phones in the first place. Sheesh.

Baby's trousseau (or whatever you call the collection of stuff a baby needs) is coming together. We have
a bassinet courtesy of a family from our church
an heirloom crib as described in previous posts
a changing table
a rocking chair
two stuffed animals
a nightlight
some decorative bits -- wallpaper pictures, a vase, a figurine, a poster
a lamp
5 onsies
1 sleeper
1 sweatshirt that says "Dordt College" on it -- Thank you, Laura
1 pair of shoes
2 mattress covers
1 blanket -- knitted
an infant carseat
a stroller
a high chair
1 bottle of baby shampoo
a box to put baby socks in
and 1 rubber ducky.

So, you experienced mothers out there, tell me what else I need to get before baby arrives. I have to put together a list before baby showers start. Here's what I know:
diapers (big time)
sheets -- for crib, bassinet, and changing table
bottles -- just a couple for emergencies
clothes -- preferably feminine because everything we have so far is neutral or masculine
a baby bathtub
That's a surprisingly short list, so I know I must be overlooking something. Or maybe not. Maybe it's just all been provided.

Love to you all, and for those of you who know my phone number, I'm probably home and wouldn't mind hearing from you.

Love,
Jennifer

3 comments:

Kelly said...

This may be an odd item for some...you may need a breast pump so that when you lactate (sp???) then you can pump and then when its inappropriate to whip out the booby, you'll still be able to use breast milk instead of formula...healthier and less costly!!

Oh...you do have a quilt coming remember...its been finished for a couple of months now. When (where) shall I send it?

Alicia said...

I think if there were just one thing I couldn't have done with out it is a swing. Yep, a swing. My arms were always thankful to the swing for the rest.

Sorry to hear Seth has gone. I wish I were closer so I could come help distract you from an empty house. Those are never fun to be alone in. It's great to hear you have so much support around there for you. You're a lucky lady in that aspect of life!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer, I didn't know you had a blog! I write one as often as possible as well. It's a great way to keep up. Yep, diapers, diapers, diapers. Two great things I couldn't live without...."Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD by Harvey Karp, and swaddling blankets. My babies were both swaddled until they were quite old. It was wonderful for us.

I hope all goes well for you.