Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My first argument with my daughter

I had my first argument with my daughter today. Tantrums and wrestling matches don't count, obviously, and neither do one line replies like "I don' want it." No, she was actually trying to persuade me that naptime was done before it was done.

I put her down for a nap around 12:30 because she refused to eat lunch, but I didn't get a chance to rest until about 2, so about the time I closed my eyes, she had had enough.

"Shoes and socks. . . . Mommy, shoes and socks."

"No, Boogaloo. You're not going outside. It's still naptime."

"Shoes and socks, Mommy."

"Naptime, Boogaloo."

"I doh want naptime. Go ou'side."

"Mommy wants naptime. Mommy hasn't gotten a nap yet."

Thoughtful pause. "Mommy, enough naptime. I get out. . . . Mommy, naptime finished."

"No, Sweetpea, naptime just started."

I won, I think. She stopped trying to go outside, but I did have to make several trips to her room during the time I had hoped to be sleeping. It's our usual compromise, I guess. But look at that sentence structure. Look at the thought process. I'm so proud of her. It's ridiculous.

No comments: