Friday, March 19, 2010

Tired of being at the mercy of the constitution of my drying rack.

Yesterday was officially the first day of spring, because yesterday was the first day that we had enough sunshine to justify putting a load of laundry on the clothesline. It was only 40 degrees F at 10 am when I put the clothes out, but it was nearly 60 when they were dry by the end of the afternoon. That is the epitome of a bright spring day in Washington. (The epitome of a dark spring day is when I look out the window and see blurred images through a sheet of sideways water flowing down.)

So the Boo and I got some outdoor time, the crazy glue on my ricky-racky got some time to set, the dryer only had to dry two loads, the environment (and my gas bill) got a bit of a break, and my neighbors were treated to the nostalgic sight of sheets and baby clothes waving in the wind. It was a really pleasant day. Boogaloo is discovering that she likes being outside, especially if we bring the bubbles outside with us. We don't actually have to blow bubbles, but the bubble container must come outside with us. She has a new soccer ball, and she has rigged leashes around the necks of her two stuffed dogs so they can follow her wherever she goes. She even helps me pick up the dog-do. (Don't ask.)

Getting outside yesterday felt especially good because the Boo and I have both been trapped at home with monstrous head colds. Apart from the stuff coming out of her nose, she doesn't seem to feel it, but boy do I! Fatigue, sinus headache, sore throat, everything from the collar bone upward. Why do I have to be under the weather when the weather is so nice?

No comments: