Thursday, April 9, 2009

Excitement out of discouragement.

Well, we're done, . . . and yet we're not! We're going to keep going. In fact, we're going to the next level and organizing all of our pro-life organizations into a coalition for life. We're still sitting outside the abortion clinic twice a week, and we hope for bigger and better things.

It turns out that none of my compatriots were discouraged by the story in the Sun. In fact, they were ecstatic that we got front page treatment, and they reported three separate groups who came up after the article to express thanks and encouragement. One of our directors quoted Ghandi, who said, "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

Moreover, we have more reasons to rejoice.
1. We know for certain that seven babies were saved from abortion.
2. which means that seven women and presumably seven men were saved from the devastating physical and emotional effects of abortion.
3. We estimate that over 150 volunteers from 15 churches and organizations put in over 1000 man hours, passed out over 400 informational pamphlets to Planned Parenthood clients, and talked to over 1000 people (not including the ones who screamed insults at us from the street), both pro-life and pr0-choice.
4. Our largest vigil stood 17 people from as far away as Port Angeles (that's 2 hours away).
5. Our neighbor, who started out bitterly opposed to our presence and even faked traffic signs to keep us from parking on his street, had a sudden change of feeling, asked for our prayers for his sick wife, and offered to let us park on his lawn. (That one blew me away.)

Sometimes, maintaining my momentum in the middle of something is difficult. When I posted last, I was discouraged. It was the last week of our vigil. We were having difficulty keeping all our prayer times full. I was out there four out of six days one week, and I know people who hardly ever left the site. That Friday, I saw five young women go in the clinic in the space of an hour, and not a one would take a pamphlet from me when they came out. I called my mom and nearly cried. Then Saturday that article came out saying that Planned Parenthood hadn't even had a drop in business. (I found out later that that is a common tactic of theirs, and that our observers estimate that their business on abortion days has dropped by 50 %.) I was ready to stow it and walk away. I didn't see what good we were doing. I didn't see who we were helping. It just all seemed hopeless.

And yet, look at everything that was accomplished through us, and look at everything God did behind our backs. God answers prayer! So keep praying.

Love to you all,

Jennifer

p.s. Niki has learned how to climb on furniture. When I trust her balance enough, I'll take a picture.

No comments: