Monday, November 10, 2008

Matters of policy.

Well, the election is over, and I have to agree with my friend delta sierra (as she calls herself). I'm disappointed. And for the past two weeks, I've been bombarded by emails from friends and from my pro-life sources talking about how the pro-life movement (which is very important to me) will be facing its biggest challenges since its inception under Obama's administration. I was fully prepared to submit to gloom and doom and pray myself sick, but two nights before the election, I had a dream that stabilized me again, and I'd like to share it with you.

I was staying at my parents' house temporarily when an early, unnatural darkness covered the whole Valley. It was too dark and thick to be clouds and too early to be night. It rolled in like a storm, but it covered everything in less than five minutes. Almost every light outside was blotted out, and inside, even though I had turned all the lights in the kitchen on, they only worked like a strobe light, flashing briefly and palely and then blacking out completely. Needless to say, this frightened me, and as I was running over to another lightswitch to turn it on, I saw a tall dark figure in the middle of the dining room which frightened me even more. But when I bumped into him, the light flashed, and I realized that I was looking up into my father's face. He had come downstairs to make sure I was alright. (pause for moment of feeling good and reassurance) Of course, being the detail-oriented, will-manage-it-myself sort of person that I am, I didn't stop to take comfort in his presence; I went to find more lightswitches.

I'm pretty sure that the symbolism is obvious. My parents' house translates to the place where I grew up -- good old U.S. of A. The darkness is the situation we find ourselves in. My father represents our Heavenly Father. The lightswitches represent human effort. The lights represent faith, which happens apart from our own efforts.

Now I am not saying that Obama's election ushers in a great storm or a preternatural age of wickedness. I really don't expect the overall state of the American populace to change that much. Like my husband says, the most liberal American politician is still miles to the right of China or Iran or places like that. I do expect a storm of doubt. I have a suspicion that organized Christianity might lose ground in political, economic, and academic fields, especially if we don't respond with faith and prayer or if we're not willing to give up trying to blend in with the populace at large. But I think the point of my dream is pretty plain: in the middle of the darkness, our Heavenly Father is standing there, watching to make sure we're okay.

In the meantime, waiting must be accompanied by action. As soon as he is in office, Obama has promised to sign a bill called the Freedom of Choice Act which completely deregulates the abortion industry, overturns state authority over local abortion practices, subjects every current law limiting abortion practices to new scrutiny and probably rejection, and prohibits new laws limiting abortion from being passed. Not only would such an act be unconstitutional (all powers not specifically named in constitution belong to the states, not the federal government), but it would also remove safety regulations, parental consent laws, and informed consent laws that have saved thousands of lives.

Please go to this website and read the analysis of this bill:http://www.FightFOCA.com. If you feel so led, please sign the petition. If you have no faith in web petitions, please write to your congressional representatives and let them know how you feel about this bill.

Thanks and God bless.

Jennifer

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm not sure I would put much faith in that Jennifer. I've heard Obama say "The first thing I'm going to do in office is..." countless times refering to Bush policies, Iraq and other foreign affairs, domestic issues, economic issues, that I wouldn't think this is a high priority. Second, I wouldn't put much faith in this because if you look at his other discussions on the whole abortions/when does life begin/etc... issue, he says different and often contradictory things based on the audience that is present. For instance, compare these words to Planned Parenthood vs. what he said to the Pastor at Saddleback church where he was dancing around the idea of protecting human life in the womb. He often says two different things: he first said he'd raise taxes then he said he wouldn't then he said he'd lower them and then he went back to having taxes again. He said he was going to "yank" (my word, not his) troops out of Iraq, now he wants a "responsible withdraw" which is the same as McCain, Bush, the Generals, etc... Everyone basically wants that. He's so two faced that unless he actually does something, I won't believe it, he's a smooth talker and he says what people want to hear.

Jennifer A. said...

Kelly, undesireable as that trait is, I actually find that reassuring. Thanks. Still, check the website out just in case.