Monday, January 6, 2014

Counting the blessings of 2013 beyond myself.

It might not be obvious from the sound of it, but I was really down when I wrote our family Christmas letter. I can tell from the overly peppy sound that I was overcompensating for my feelings. "Must . . . not . . . let. . . anything end on a negative note." You might know the feeling. Everything I said about blessings and learning was true, but I can tell that I wasn't feeling it. So in an effort to put my feelings into perspective, I decided to look at what happened to the people around me in 2013.

For example, no, Seth and I did not have the baby that we have been trying for, but in the meantime we did get a new nephew, who himself came after a miscarriage for my sister. In addition, Seth's aunt had a miracle baby after years of struggling with uterine health issues, and both of them lived to tell about it. Two of my cousins had healthy bundles of joy, and five friends either welcomed a new baby or are expecting to very soon.  A small part of me wants to be bitter because they have babies and I don't, but then I see the baby pictures, and I can't help but rejoice because my family and friends are so happy.    

Two sets of friends got married.  Two more got engaged. 

Considering all my married friends and family, 93% are still married and going strong.

Three family members also bought new houses this past year.  And two of them had almost as much work as we did in moving in and almost as much help as we did in the process. 

Six church friend families also lost an immediate family member, and I'm not including their kids and grandkids who by connection lost someone too.  Some of these loved ones were taken suddenly; some left after extended illness.  Some were well along in years, some just past their prime.  It's hard, but it's part of life to lose people and have them wait for us on the other side. 

Nothing happens in a vacuum.  "Ask not for whom the bell tolls.  It tolls for thee."  But when you hear the bell tolling, don't forget that it also tolls for every person around you, the years of your life and their lives, years meant to be well-lived and enjoyed.    

No comments: