Friday, October 5, 2012

Home again, home again

We came home on Saturday and have bulled our way forward into October.  Thank you, Kelly, and also to the Ukrainian stranger on the plain, for your advice in overcoming jet lag.  It wasn't  completely  successful, but I haven't had any sleepless nights, and the days have been productive.  The Boo, of course, pays no heed to day or night but sleeps when the urge strikes her.  That wouldn't be so bad if she didn't wake and demand to eat when the urge strikes as well.  We are currently having breakfast at 4am and walking the dog round the block at 5.  It is pleasant to start the day with exercize, but I'm so dogone tired by noon that I wonder if it's worth it.

Coming home was an odd experience.  A friend picked us up at the airport, so I was free to look around as we drove home.  It didn't look like home.  The land was the wrong height.  The buildings were the wrongs shapes.  The sun set in the wrong way, and the sky was the wrong color blue.  I felt so out of my skin that I didn't really know where to look or how to settle.  Have we always wasted this much space?  Why don't we build more in brick? I felt like writing a letter to the editor and recommending that every stand alone grocery store put two or three levels of apartments on the top.  
I still feel odd when I look around, but it fades as the days go by.

Back in normal life, the Boo has had two days of preschool.  It's not her favorite thing.  Safe to say, she doesn't like following the crowd.  I've definitely got one that marches to her own beat.  She doesn't mind doing the things that the other kids are doing.  She just wants to do them in her own time, perhaps with a litte more self-directed free play in between.  We've started slow.  We go for half of the half-day.  Next week, we'll work our way up to a little more.  I'm sure it will be a necessary part of her week by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, but right now, not so much. 



No comments: