Wednesday, July 25, 2012

At least we're not worried about her self concept.

In passing, Boogaloo had her hearing test today.  Her hearing is within normal limits, and she shows no trouble picking up the middle and higher registers, which is where human speech processes.  Ergo, hearing problems are not the causes of her speech problems.  Whatever difficulties we encounter there are in her brain, not her ears. 

But in spite of all the difficulties encumbant in having a language processing disorder, at least we know she has a healthy self-concept. For instance, observe below. 

This is Boogaloo drawing a family portrait on the white board in the garage. 

Here she is drawing Max, our dog.  The picture standing beside Max is me.  I can tell because she always gives me a top-knot.  I guess it's supposed to be a ponytail.  This kind of picture is developmentally appropriate for a four-year-old. 
Observe that I am not just a head. I also have legs, eyes, a nose, a mouth, and hair. 


 This is my husband Seth and obviously the artist herself. 


Observe that my husband is drawn much like I am, except that he has more hair, which I supposed, is appropriate.  She hasn't put facial hair on him yet.  I guess she doesn't consider his beard part of his basic type. 
  
  However, when she comes to herself, observe what detail she puts into it.  Her haircut is accurate.  She has arms, and she doesn't just have legs.  She has a dress.  In fact, she has a very specific dress with a ruffly collar, a long skirt, and a laced-up bodice, the very dress she was wearing that day.  She really loves that dress.  This was the third day in a row that she wore it.   
I believe this demonstrates that even if she doesn't relate to other people comfortably, she knows herself very well.  Moreover, she knows she's cute.   

No comments: