Thursday, January 12, 2012

Go Broncos!

     This is Boogaloo's favorite outfit of late.   She wears it with her monkey boots (which also get a lot of use, in case you were wondering, Mom), and she goes everywhere in it. Yesterday, she pulled if off the hanger and changed into it just to go the park. But we're all wearing the orange and blue pretty proudly since Sunday.  Seth has four Broncos shirts, and he has worn no other shirt all week. Even I find myself unintentionally sporting blue and orange. I need to find some official gear so I can fit in with the family.  
    Seriously, who wouldn't want to be a Broncos fan right now?  Wow, what a game!  Seth has been predicting Tebow's success all season, but last Sunday blew us away.  When Demaryius Thomas caught Tim Tebow's pass at the beginning of overtime, we thought he'd get some good yardage.  But then he kept running and running and running, and suddenly there was a touchdown.   And we were screaming and screaming.  Even Boogaloo was jumping up and down and yelling "Go Broncos.  Go Broncos."  We were so amped up, we had to go out for ice cream to settle down.

Then we followed Tebow headlines all week.  I love reading the comments under Tebow articles.  One comment said, "I am a diehard Steeler fan, but I will be cheering wholeheartedly for Tebow and the Broncos against the Patriots next Saturday."  Another one said, "If Tim Tebow and the Broncos can pull off another win like this one against the Patriots, I am going back to church!"  Amen.   
I'm not used to having a team to patronize.  If anyone had asked me in high school or college if I followed a football team, I would have replied, "Well, I know that Steve Largent played for the Seahawks once."  Yeah, when I was eight. There are those who would argue that "my" local team (i.e. the Seahawks) weren't worth following at that point, but as I have since learned, that wouldn't stop a real football fan.  But now, having fallen feet first into a first-class football family, I find myself liking football.  I don't exactly follow stats, but I'm actually beginning to pay attention to who is in what division so I know how hard to cheer. 

 And following the Broncos is fun right now too.  Seth is no fair weather fan.  He's been following them since 1986, probably before Tim Tebow's mom made the fateful decision to keep her youngest son.  But even he, my steady, ain't-got-time-for-that-hysteria, it's-all-about-the-numbers husband, is following Tebow mania like the quarterback is a rockstar.  Seth says he knows it's pathetic, but he has to click on Tebow headlines.  I tell him not to worry.  I've only just kicked the Kardashian headline habit, and Tebow is more worth following than they are.  Besides, if the Broncos go all the way to the superbowl, which would you rather say:  "I knew it all along, even when the pundits were doubting.  I called it every step of the way." or "I didn't follow it all that closely.  I didn't want to be uncool."?

1 comment:

Kelly Ram said...

You better watch it Jennifer, looks like Seth is getting cozy with that Bronco's Cheerleader! I know people who can help you work through that little marriage snafoo.