Saturday, November 12, 2011

There and back again . . . in time for supper on Saturday.

It's official.  We are now fully residents of Hillboro, Oregon.  What makes it official, you ask?  We finally moved my car down from Bremerton.  Due to lack of drivers under various circumstances, we have had to leave my poor car sitting neglected in the driveway of our little house until now.  We couldn't drive it down the first time because Seth had to drive the moving van.  And then we couldn't bring it down when I went up to clean the house because Seth was in Taiwan.  So finally, after a month, I am reunited with my battered Buick, and we are once again a two car family.  The only thing we have left in Bremerton (besides friends and memories, of course) is a house. 

It was interesting being a one-car family for a month.  I was used to running the house independent of Seth's schedule.  Independence is kind of necessary when your husband may or may not be on the other side of the world. (Of course, if he was on the other side of the world, I had sole use of the car, so it balances out.) If something had to happen, I just needed to go make it happen -- groceries, doctors appointments, church functions, brief trips to friends houses.  They were all just a matter of course.  But over the last month, I've actually had to plan these things around my husband's schedule, and the funny thing is, it didn't really interfere with our lives.  Having a car only twice a week was enough.  In fact, it was kind of nice.   It made me focus on my home and my kid.  Fancy that. 

But we couldn't just leave Billie the Buick sitting in Bremerton.  People want to move into our little house, and they can't do that if we're still occupying the driveway.  We left for Bremerton after work on Friday.  Seth got us a room at the Bremerton Hampton ($89 with AAA discount), I packed the duffle and deflated the dogcrate, we tossed it all in the Jeep, and we made it to Bremerton about nine o'clock at night.  We even got a bottle of wine and watched the lights on the bay, in between telling Boogaloo to get back in bed.  Then we turned around and came back this morning.  Now I don't have any more excuses to keep me from getting out and getting things done. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DOn and I just got a second vehicle this past August. We went from May 2006 to August 2011 with one car. I miss spending time with him to and from in the mornings and on the way back in the afternoon (he does too). I was also more efficient when we had one car. Kinda miss it. Maybe this summer, after the exchange students go back, we'll go back to one car.

...Kelly