Monday, March 7, 2011

Geeking Out on God.

Have you ever noticed that when God sets his mind to get something done, it gets done? Have you ever seen the guidance of God so clearly that it just takes your breath away?

This evening, just as I was getting ready to cook dinner, I got a phone call. After about fifteen minutes of conversation, I hung up my phone, came out of the kitchen, threw my hands into the air, and (my husband can testify to this) squealed like a twelve-year-old who has just won Justin Bieber tickets. Then I proceeded to giggle and titter all the way through dinner. I was that overcome.

The phone call was from a pastor who is interested in 40 Days for Life. Last week Thursday, while our planning committee was in the midst of our meeting, this man came into the diner to meet with some of his parishioners. He had never been to the diner before. The parishioners had suggested it. He just happened to show up while we were there. None of us knew who he was. He was just a man in a clerical collar. I don’t usually approach strangers, not even strange preachers, but I summoned the courage to interrupt their conversation and offer him one of our posters with a letter of explanation.

Tonight, he called me. He wanted to know what we are all about. He said that as a white pastor in a primarily black denomination, he has been facing an uphill struggle in convincing his congregation to go against the deeply ingrained position of abortion in their culture. He said that he had been receiving 40 Days emails from Shaun Carney for about a year, and he had been feeling God leading him to do something. "I'm definitely pro-life," he said, "and I'm non-violent too. I don't like the shouting that some people get up to. I prefer to tell people about adoption. I was adopted, and I am grateful to be alive."

I was so thrilled to hear from him. We are a great match to his situation, and he is a great match to our cause. It was a completely chance meeting (although, as he said to me, we don't believe in coincidences). I nearly didn't go up to him at all. Think what I would have missed out on.

When we began planning this year’s campaign, we were questioning whether or not we could do another 40 Days for Life. Last year was grueling and really left a mark on our souls. But this year, God seems determined to erase that mark. Our kickoff rally was standing room only. We have more leadership positions filled than any previous campaign. We have new people coming out of the woodwork. And everywhere we go, there is evidence that God is going in front of us. Praise the Lord.

No comments: