Friday, October 23, 2009

Pictures for daddy.

I'm quickly posting some pictures for Seth before he goes underway. The Internet is such a blessing when people have to maintain families long distance. I really marvel at how far communications have come. Just months before Seth joined the Ohio, families had to rely on things called "family grams" -- telegram like messages that only allowed fifty words including names and salutations -- and they only got eight of them per patrol. Pictures had to be sent by mail, and it was anyone's guess whether or not they would get to the sailor before he came home. Now sailors can receive emails on the boat and can download pictures and videos off the Internet when they stop at ports. Whatever ills may have come with the Internet, it is still a blessing.


These are some pictures from the last week which demonstrate how quickly Annika is growing up. Seth laments that she always seems to grow faster when he isn't around to see it, and sometimes I think he must be right. There were a whole host of things that she began doing right after he left that she'd never done before. Every time I turn around she's doing something new and grown up.

This is Annika learning about the parts of my sewing machine. She seemed to have more luck with it than I did.

Here she is trying to put her pants on all by herself. You'll notice that she's already wearing pants, and she's putting both feet in one leg. Here she is putting her dollies to bed side by side. Here she is drinking from a normal cup instead of her sippy cup (we still use the sippy cups for most things. After all, she still requires quite a bit of attention with a cup like this one). Here she is reading a book to me. And now she's illustrating something for clearer understanding (my little teacher). These are pictures from my church's Harvest (Halloween) party. My pastor's wife came as a musketeer. She's really the only picture I can post (besides myself) because only one other grown-up came dressed up (her husband Dave in matching costume), and I didn't get a good picture of him. Kudos to Nancy who outdid me in level of costuming. May the creative spirit never die. I went as a gypsy, and Boo Boo is a clown without make up. I actually bought the make up to make her a clown, but I don't think she'd have put up with that that night. It was hard enough keeping the hat on her. Seth wanted a fuller picture of my costume, but this is the best I could do. I guess I'll have to put it on again for his benefit when he gets home. :) I learned that elaborate costumes and small children just don't mix. By the end of the evening, half of the jewelry and all of the scarves were deposited in various places around the room I was working in. Saddening. I like elaborate costumes. Maybe I should go out for community theatre, like my sister. Wouldn't I fit right in with Fiddler on the Roof?

No comments: